We're growing and recruiting motivated students to help us pursue these goals. One thing is for certain: We're better together!
The Department of Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences has merged two very distinguished departments and dissolved disciplinary boundaries to develop new and bold strategies to characterize, monitor, and model the hydrosphere. Our new vision is to lead the world in integrated and quantitative hydrologic and atmospheric sciences, and develop the knowledge needed to solve Earth's water, hydrogeologic, weather, and climate-related problems.
Our merger has resulted in new collaborative opportunities in teaching and research that engage our entire community, from undergraduate students through senior faculty. As scientific leaders in the 21st century, we embrace the need for both regional and global perspectives in climate change, water resources, and other environmental issues that affect society.
- We are the first and only combined Department of Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences. With each individual department having Top 5 rankings, we are a combined powerhouse of innovative, collaborative scientific research and instruction.
- We are initiating micro-campus partnerships with online and flipped course offerings in up to five locations around the world.
- We have developed the first fully-online College of Science degree, a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) degree with an emphasis in meteorology.
- Develop a Southwest Regional Integrated Modeling Center for Water, Energy, Weather, and Climate - $6M to endow
- Secure the endowments for the Harshbarger Scholarship - $100K - and the Krider Scholarship - $250K
- An endowed chair for an exceptional scholar or a field of study to be designated - $3M
- Dedicated Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences Building - $20M - or Renovations in the Harshbarger Building dedicated to classrooms and laboratory classrooms - $250K
- Support student scholarships - $25K
- Increase recruitment and outreach - $10K
- Support seminar series and general fund - $10K
Rev. January 2023